If you have read about my Storybook Farm Doll House, you’ve learned that I created it in somewhat of a hurry… in the four days before gift-giving in the 2015 Christmas season. The house was planned with lots of storage because I planned to make many accessories to this quiet book as 2016 unfolded. This page will be updated as I do so.
I created a second doll (because I realized that one doll between two grandgirls wasn’t optimal). This second doll is the same shape as the first, but with a different face, so that all the outfits I make from here on out fit both dolls.
This is the doll (modeled on Sophia, whom you can buy on Etsy). I had fun adding hair bows to her wig. I put Fray Check on the ends, because when the grand girls untie them, they can fray easily. Fortunately, both of these girls have blue eyes, but one has dark hair, and the other, blonde. So, now they can both play their dolls as themselves, or as someone else.
The little blue dress was fun to do. It is made of two pieces of coordinated calico. After finishing the hem and sides of the skirt piece by folding them back and stitching simply, I gathered it. Then, using tear-away stabilizer, and a satin stitch, I sewed them together, then sewed down a piece of trim as the belt. There’s Velcro on the back to keep the outfit in place when in use.
At the right is a picture of two other dresses, and some tights and shoes that I also made this week.
Below are the sets of socks that I mentioned in the earlier post and designed for the laundry room of the Storybook Farm doll house.
I have seen this kind of activity in countless quiet books, so I claim no originality for it. The idea is that you jumble all the socks in the laundry machine, and then the child pairs them properly. In my application, the girls can hang them up with mini-clothespins.
At the left is a photo of the seven pairs of socks: first, the one of their fronts and below, the one of their backs. If you compare them, you’ll see that it will take the girls some work to pair them correctly.
I used charm pack fabrics from Aunti’s stash, purposefully choosing closely related fabrics so that the “puzzle” of pairing would not be too easy. I put them, wrong sides together with stabilizer between and used a machine satin stitch. Then, I clipped them close, just as with the outfits above.
This technique is working for me so far; I’ll report back to you about whether they hold up to child play in real life! 😀